Fast forward about ten years and here's what's happened:
- I still find myself envying the talent of today's best DJs -- Shiftee? Holy smokes.
- I've sold one of the two turntables to my pal (and fellow record-enthusiast) Frank.
- I recorded one actual "set" while both decks were wired into my computer back in 2008.
Yeah. Just before Christmas of 2008, I put together a little more than six minutes of holiday cheer.
Nothing fancy. Pretty simple, really. But it's fun.
With the holidays upon us, I thought I'd share this taste of the short-lived "basement show."
For those keeping score at home, here's what was used:
- You Gotta Get Up - Rich Mullins - From "A Liturgy, A Legacy, & a Ragamuffin Band" (1993 - Reunion)
- Drop It Like It's Hot - Snoop Dogg - From "R&G" (2004 - Geffen)
- Christmas Vacation Clip - Chevy Chase (1989 - Warner Bros.)
- Mele Kalikimaka - Bing Crosby From "Merry Christmas" (MCA)
- J.O.Y. - Transformation Crusade - From "Yo Ho Ho" (Benson)
- Bridge is Over - Boogie Down Production - From "Criminal Minded" (1987 - B Boy)
- Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney (1979 - Parlophone/EMI)
- Funky Funky Christmas - New Kids on the Block - From "Merry Merry Christmas" (1989 - Columbia)
- Wild Thing - Tone Loc - From "Loc-ed After Dark" (1989 - Delicious Vinyl/Rhino)
- A Christmas Story Clip - Billingsley/Shepherd (1983)
- It's Cold Outside - Redbone/Deschanel - From Elf Soundtrack (2003 - New Line)
- Christmas in Hollis - Run-DMC - From "A Very Special Christmas" (1987 - A&M)
- Can't Stop Won't Stop - Young Gunz (2003 - Roc-a-Fella)
- Christmas Rappin' - Kurtis Blow - From "Kurtis Blow" (1980 - Mercury)
- Hit It Run - Run-DMC - From "Raising Hell" (1986 - Profile)
- Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses (1981)
- Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club - From "Tom Tom Club" (1981 - Sire/Warner Bros.)
- Friday Clip - Chris Tucker (1995 - New Line)
- Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto - James Brown
- I'm Chief Kamanawanalea - The Turtles - From "The Battle of the Bands" (1968 - Flo & Eddie)
- Little Drummer Boy - D-Boy - From "Yo Ho Ho" (Benson)
- The Show - Slick Rick/Doug E. Fresh - From "The Show" (1985 - Reality)